Senior Bangladesh cricketer Mohammad Mithun, president of the Cricketers’ Welfare Association of Bangladesh (CWAB), has received life threats through voice notes and phone calls while leading player protests against Bangladesh Cricket Board director Najmul Islam. The threats emerged after Mithun spearheaded a boycott of Bangladesh Premier League matches, demanding Islam’s removal for making disparaging remarks about national players.
What Sparked the Crisis?
The controversy was ignited by Najmul Islam, a member of both the Board of Control for Cricket (BCB) and the finance committee. He made public comments on players being entitled to no compensation if Bangladesh fails to qualify for the T20 World Cup. According ot him, the players had “not shown their current performance has justified the support so far” from winning major tournaments.
Islam also made additional controversial statements when he called former Bangladesh Captain Tamim Iqbal an “Indian Agent”, after Tamim Iqbal had suggested dialogue regarding the teams’ participation in the upcoming T20 World Cup.
On January 14, Islam told reporters that the board owed players nothing if they withdrew from the India-based tournament, remarks that the players’ body described as “utterly condemnable” and deeply hurtful to the cricket fraternity. The Cricketers’ Welfare Association immediately demanded his resignation, threatening a complete boycott of all cricket activities if he failed to step down.
SUGGESTED READ: BCB Removes Nazmul Islam as Finance Committee Head
How Did Players Respond?
CWAB president Mohammad Mithun announced on January 14 that players would boycott all cricket, starting with BPL matches scheduled for January 15, unless Najmul Islam resigned. The protest gained immediate solidarity from national team captains, including Najmul Hossain Shanto, Mehidy Hasan Miraz, and Mahedi Hasan.
The boycott caused immediate disruption. The BPL match between Noakhali Express and Chattogram Royals, scheduled for January 15, experienced a delayed toss as neither team arrived at Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium on time. Additionally, a number of Dhaka Premier League games were rescheduled. The players remained united in their refusal to play until their demands were satisfied.
When Did the Threats Against Mithun Begin?
Mohammad Mithun revealed on January 16 that he began receiving life threats after taking a public stand for player welfare. The threats arrived primarily through WhatsApp voice notes and calls from unknown numbers.
Mithun explained that as CWAB president, his contact number is publicly available through press releases, making him more vulnerable to such attacks.
“I’ve never had an experience like this. It’s the first time in my life,” Mithun told Cricbuzz. “I don’t remember ever being involved in controversial talk. It’s going over my head. When have I ever spoken against the country?”
He made it clear that he never made political or anti-national remarks and that his remarks were only about cricket and the rights of players.
What Kind of Threats Did Mithun Receive?
The threats against Mithun came through multiple channels. He received voice notes on WhatsApp that he described as life-threatening. Mithun also reported that other players involved in the protest received similar threats through various means.
“Everyone who has appeared on camera has received negative messages and threats through phone calls from numerous individuals,” Mithun stated during a press conference in Dhaka. He admitted he had stopped answering calls from unknown numbers, but could not prevent messages and voice notes from reaching him.
Why Is the Bangladesh Cricket Board Investigating?

The Bangladesh Cricket Board promised to investigate the threats after Mithun’s public revelation. BCB director Iftekhar confirmed that the board’s security department would assist Mithun and other affected players.
“Everyone knows we have a security department,” Iftekhar stated. “I have just heard about the concerns from players, the calls and so on. We will tell the security department to handle it. We are taking this seriously”.
Despite the investigation promise, Mithun had not formally reported the threats to the board as of January 16, explaining he felt uncertain about how to approach law enforcement. “I don’t even know how to take help from law enforcement because I have never gone to a police station for any legal matter in my life,” he admitted.
What Happened to Najmul Islam?
The BCB took partial action against Najmul Islam by removing him as chairman of the finance committee on January 15. However, Islam retained his position as a board director, which requires a more formal disciplinary process.
The board issued a show-cause notice to Islam on January 14, giving him 48 hours to respond. BCB president Aminul Islam Bulbul made the decision to remove Islam from his finance role “after a review of recent developments in the interest of the organisation”.
Players remained unsatisfied with this partial action, demanding his complete removal as director. They agreed to resume BPL matches from January 17 only after receiving assurances that the process for his directorship removal was ongoing.
How Does This Affect Bangladesh’s T20 World Cup Plans?
Citing security concerns, Bangladesh is negotiating with the ICC to move its four preliminary Twenty20 World Cup matches from India to Sri Lanka, sparking controversy. The dispute intensified after Indian authorities directed Kolkata Knight Riders to release Bangladesh pacer Mustafizur Rahman from their IPL squad.
Bangladesh’s government subsequently suspended all IPL broadcasts in the country, expressing anger at what they called an “illogical” decision that “distressed, shocked and angered the people of Bangladesh”. The broader political tensions between the two nations have now spilt into cricket administration, complicating the team’s World Cup participation.
Mithun clarified that players want to compete in the World Cup but not under security threats.
“We definitely want player safety and security. We never want anyone to go and play under a life threat,” he stated. “But at the same time, we want the player to play in the World Cup because a World Cup is a World Cup”.
What Happens Next?
The BPL started again on January 17 after players got updates about the situation with Najmul Islam. However, the problems are not fixed yet. The BCB security team is still investigating the threats made against Mithun and other players.
As talks with the ICC continue, Bangladesh’s participation in the T20 World Cup is still up in the air. In addition to addressing internal governance issues that have strained the relationship between administrators and players, the board must strike a balance between international obligations and player safety concerns.
The cricket community is waiting to hear Najmul Islam’s response to the show-cause notice and whether he will make the public apology that players have demanded. In the meantime, Mithun and his associates have to manage their leadership responsibilities while dealing with threats to their personal safety.
Track every twist in the Najmul Islam controversy, showcause proceedings and potential resignations at Jeetwin Sports!











