The ICC gave Bangladesh one more day to confirm whether they will travel to India for the T20 World Cup 2026. The decision came from an ICC Board meeting held on January 21, 2026, through video conference. If Bangladesh refuses, Scotland will take their place in the tournament based on team rankings.
Fifteen ICC Board directors attended the meeting. Only Pakistan supported Bangladesh’s position. The other 14 members voted to replace Bangladesh if they don’t travel to India. The BCB now has 24 hours to consult with the Bangladesh government and give a final answer.
ICC Board Meeting Details
The ICC Board met on January 21, 2026, to discuss Bangladesh’s refusal to play matches in India. Jay Shah chaired the meeting as ICC Chair. Sanjog Gupta attended as ICC CEO, and Imran Khawaja as ICC Deputy Chairman.
Representatives from all full member boards joined the meeting. Aminul Islam represented BCB as their president. Devajit Saikia attended the BCCI as secretary. Other attendees included Shammi Silva from Sri Lanka Cricket, Mohsin Naqvi from Pakistan Cricket Board, Mike Baird from Cricket Australia, and officials from Zimbabwe, West Indies, Ireland, New Zealand, England, South Africa, and Afghanistan cricket boards.
The vote went 14 to 1 against Bangladesh. Pakistan wrote to the ICC on Tuesday, supporting BCB’s stance, but could not change the outcome. Bangladesh found itself isolated with no other board backing its security concerns publicly.
SUGGESTED READ: ICC’s earlier decision on venue requests
Bangladesh’s Security Concerns
Bangladesh sent an official refusal letter to the ICC on January 4, 2026. The letter cited security concerns for players, media, officials, and fans as reasons for not traveling to India. The BCB requested two changes: move their matches to Sri Lanka and swap groups with Ireland to avoid playing in India entirely.
The ICC rejected both requests. Officials said changing venues this close to the tournament would set a bad example. Independent security reviews found no real threat to Bangladesh in India. Andrew Ephgrave, head of ICC’s Anti-Corruption Unit, traveled to Dhaka last week to meet BCB officials in person. He shared federal and state security plans prepared by Indian authorities.
The security assessment rated the risk as low to moderate. Indian law enforcement promised multiple layers of protection for all teams, including Bangladesh. Despite these assurances, Bangladesh government maintained its position against sending the team to India.
What Started the Dispute

The trouble began when BCCI instructed Kolkata Knight Riders to release Mustafizur Rahman from their IPL 2026 squad. Mustafizur is a Bangladeshi fast bowler who was part of KKR’s plans. The BCCI gave no public reason for the instruction.
Four days later, on January 4, 2026, Bangladesh sent its refusal letter to the ICC. The timing suggests that the IPL decision had an effect on BCB’s position. The Bangladeshi government then banned the IPL from being shown in the country, which made things even worse.
Issues in politics are also important. Former Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina fled to India in 2025 and remains there now. Bangladesh is scheduled to hold elections in February 2026, the same month as the World Cup matches. The government faces domestic pressure not to appear weak by accepting India’s terms.
Asif Nazrul, Bangladesh’s Youth and Sports Adviser, said the country will not accept unreasonable pressure. Litton Das, Bangladesh’s captain, told the media he is uncertain if the team will participate. The squad of 15 players was already announced. They have trained and prepared for months, making any withdrawal difficult for the athletes caught between politics and sport.
Scotland as Replacement
Scotland sits as the highest-ranked team among those not qualified for the tournament. The ICC chose them based on official team rankings if Bangladesh pulls out. However, the BBC reported Scotland has not received formal contact from the ICC yet about replacing Bangladesh.
The change would affect Group C, where Bangladesh was placed alongside New Zealand, West Indies, Italy, and Nepal. If Scotland replaces Bangladesh, the other four teams face a different opponent with a different playing style. Scotland plays aggressive cricket while Bangladesh relies more on spin bowling.
Bangladesh was scheduled to play four group matches. Three would be in Kolkata at Eden Gardens on February 7, 9, and 14. The fourth match was set for Mumbai at Wankhede Stadium on February 17. All these matches now hang in doubt pending BCB’s final decision within the next 24 hours.
The qualified teams for the tournament have already started preparations. A late replacement creates problems for Scotland if they need to quickly assemble a squad and travel to India within weeks.
What Happens Next
Bangladesh has until January 22, 2026, to give its final answer. BCB has until the deadline to talk to their government one more time. If they say no again, the ICC will officially ask Scotland to take their place in Group C.
The argument shows that there are problems between the BCCI and BCB that go beyond cricket. Political issues, the IPL’s choice about Mustafizur, and stress at home in Bangladesh all played a role in this standoff. The ICC tried to find a compromise by giving Bangladesh more time and sending security officials to Dhaka, but Bangladesh stuck to its guns.
The situation makes things unclear for players like Litton Das and his teammates. They prepared for months to represent their country at a major tournament. Now politics may prevent them from playing. The 15-player squad includes Mustafizur Rahman, whose IPL release triggered part of this crisis.
The next 24 hours will decide if Bangladesh plays in the T20 World Cup 2026 or if Scotland gets a surprise call to replace them. Either way, Group C teams need to prepare for different opponents, and the tournament faces its first major controversy before a ball is bowled.
For more cricket news and updates, visit JeetWin Sports.











