Australia head coach Andrew McDonald has suggested that Ben Stokes might reverse his Test retirement and turn out for England in next year’s Ashes series. Stokes stepped away from red-ball cricket after England’s series loss to New Zealand last month, leaving the side in seventh place on the ICC World Test Championship table ahead of a home series against Pakistan.
McDonald made the comments on Australian radio station SEN, admitting he has no direct knowledge of Stokes’ plans but believes a comeback would suit the sport’s promotional needs. He said the ideal script would see Stokes return from retirement for one final Ashes campaign, building anticipation in the lead-up. He added that if the series needed a marketing angle, a Stokes comeback would be the obvious choice.
Stokes Shows Sharp Form for Durham
Since his Test retirement, Stokes has featured twice for domestic side Durham in England’s 50-over competition. He scored 108 not out and 73 not out in back-to-back wins, proving his batting remains in strong shape at 35. The knocks have fuelled speculation that the all-rounder still has plenty left to offer at the highest level, despite stepping away from the format he once captained.
This is not the first time Stokes has walked back a retirement decision. He returned to one-day cricket in 2022 after initially quitting the format, featuring in England’s title defence at the 2023 ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup, a campaign that ultimately ended without success. Stokes has since indicated he intends to stick with his Test retirement this time, regardless of any approach from team management.
SUGGESTED READ: Ben Stokes Smashes Match-Winning Century as Durham Beat Derbyshire

Coaching Change Adds Uncertainty to Stokes’ Future
England’s search for a new Test head coach, following Brendon McCullum’s departure, adds another layer to the situation. McCullum was a close ally of Stokes throughout his captaincy, and McDonald said the incoming coach’s relationship with the all-rounder could shape what happens next.
McDonald said Stokes still has plenty of good cricket in him and called the situation fascinating to watch. He said the new head coach would likely have a conversation with Stokes at some stage. He pointed out that the exact reason behind Stokes’ retirement has never been made public, so it remains unclear whether the decision is final or whether a new coach could persuade him to reconsider. McDonald added that even if Stokes does not return, his career impact and standout moments will be remembered well.
2027 Ashes Schedule Confirmed
England has already released the fixture list for the 2027 Ashes series. Trent Bridge in Nottingham will host the series opener from June 18, followed by Tests at Lord’s, Edgbaston, The Rose Bowl and The Oval.
Stokes has not commented publicly on McDonald’s remarks, and England’s management has not addressed the possibility of a recall. The situation is likely to draw fresh attention once a new Test head coach is appointed.
Ashes 2027 schedule:
First Test: June 18-22, Trent Bridge, Nottingham Second Test: June 30-July 4, Lord’s, London Third Test: July 8-12, Edgbaston, Birmingham Fourth Test: July 21-25, Rose Bowl, Southampton Fifth Test: July 29-August 2, The Oval, London
Follow JeetWin Sports for the latest cricket news and updates.











